School Food Service Manager
Head Start Division
Supervisor - 1st Line
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
This position is eligible for Standard Benefits which includes dental, medical, and vision insurance, paid time off and holidays, retirement matching, wellness programs, and tuition reimbursement.
The School Food Service Manager is responsible for overseeing and managing the scratch kitchen while promoting a harmonious, clean, safe, and orderly work environment. The ideal candidate is a strong supervisorand supportstheteam to create akitchenenvironment that promotes teamworkand collaboration while ensuring food safety and mealpattern requirements are met in alignment with approved menus.
About Head Start:
Head Start is a no cost, all-inclusive, child-focused, and family-centered early-childhood program for children ages 0-5. A range of individualized services in the areas of education, early childhood development, medical, dental, mental health, nutrition, family support, and parent education.We strive to provide equitable and inclusive services and support to the diverse community we serve.
Check out our video, Scratch Cooking at Jefferson County Head Start: https://youtu.be/RRBr-QjBmAU
Head Start offers opportunities for on-site professional development scheduled during work hours, a team-oriented program that assists with providing the best service for our families, and individualized coaching.
Note: Job requires employee to drive county vehicle daily, current driver's license with clean motor vehicle record required .
This full-time, year-round, standard position operates Monday-Friday. This position works at our Head Start-Arvada and travels to our Wheat Ridge location daily, requiring on-site support. There may be infrequent, occasional evenings required.
Target Hire Range: 20.00 - 23.00 USD Hourly
Benefits: Jefferson County offers a generous benefits package that supports your personal and professional life. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off and holidays, retirement matching, wellness programs, tuition reimbursement, and more. For more information, click here for our Total Rewards summary.
- Oversees inventory tracking and procurement of food, supplies, kitchen dry goods and food allergy substitutions through a maintained and up-to-date inventory tracking system.
- Ensures the kitchen aides know what is expected of them and coordinates all daily kitchen activities. Develops and communicates daily plan of action. Follows up with kitchen staff to ensure established job duties and policies are being followed. Collaborates with nutritionist to develop team building activities. Communicates daily meal service information with teaching staff, reviews weekly menus and production records with nutritionist. Trains new kitchen aides.
- Meets with supervisor and other managers to discuss kitchen system, suggest improvements, evaluate other suggestions for improvements and implement as requests. Suggests ideas to incorporate other areas of the program, such as nutrition activities or parent involvement into meal service. Supports nutritional education programming.
- Ensures Child and Adults Care Food Program guidelines and Jefferson County Health Department guidelines for food safety are followed. Reviews monthly kitchen records for accuracy and complies paperwork such as temperature logs and delivery invoices.
- Responsible for ensuring that all dietary needs of participants are met with the guidance of the nutritionist. Including making sure that all meal substitutions have been prepared and delivered to classrooms as well as ensuring that all food is safe and appropriate for the age group being served.
- Supervises staff in area of responsibility. Administers and makes recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting subordinates, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, assigning, scheduling, granting leave, appraisals, and taking corrective action. Conducts performance evaluations and communicates short- and long- term goals and objectives. Submits personnel records and reports as required by the county. Assists and advises subordinates as necessary, resolves problems as non-routine situations arise, and ensures adherence to established policies, procedures, and standards. Communicates changes in policy and procedures to direct reports and implements them as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Research shows that women andother underrepresented and historically marginalized groups tend to apply only when they check every box in the posting. If you are reading this and hesitating to click "apply" for that reason, we encourage you to go for it! A true passion and excitement for making an impact is just as important as work experience.
- High School Diploma or GED and
- 3 years of work-related experience working with food or nutrition programs.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous Head Start or school nutrition experience, or other institutional food experience.
- One year of supervisory experience.
- Experience with children and families experiencing poverty/trauma and other vulnerable populations.
- School Nutrition Specialist or similar credential.
- Comfort working in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Offer of employment contingent on upon successful completion of criminal history, MVR check, education verification and references.
- Please note that supplemental questions requiring a written response will serve as a writing sample.
- FBI & CBI fingerprinting, sex offender registry check, TRAILS check
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted electronically at Jefferson County Colorado Career Opportunities .
Applicants complete an online form and have the option to provide a resume and detailed cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for the position. Applications are reviewed for minimum qualifications listed in the qualifications section of the job bulletin, and applicants are contacted directly by the hiring team regarding next steps. To view the status of your application or direct communication from the hiring team, please log into your candidate portal .
For more details on the recruitment process, please visit https://www.jeffco.us/1860/FAQs
- County Recruitment Team: 303-271-8400 or email@example.com
- Library Recruitment Team: 303.275.6168 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sheriff Recruitment Team: 303.271.5332 or email@example.com
GED, High School Diploma
Work Experience: Minimum three years
Health & Human Services