Food Service Specialist
Job Posting Title
Food Service Specialist
650 DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
Lawton/Ft. Sill Veterans Cente
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Salary Hourly - $12.15
Positions in this job family are involved in handling, preparing, cooking and serving food for regular, modified and special diets at a state hospital, school, facility or institution. This includes maintaining clean and sanitary work, preparation and serving areas.
- Prepares foods, salads, and desserts; cooks or bakes a variety of items.
- Supplies unit with meat, fish or fowl as ordered; cuts and prepares meat, poultry or fish.
- Cleans and prepares foods using tools such as knives, slicers and peelers and equipment such as ovens and steamers; follows written diet orders.
- Operates dishwasher; gathers, cleans, stacks and hand washes or scours pots, pans, dishes, silverware and other cooking and baking utensils.
- Removes refuse from kitchen area; sweeps mops and scrubs kitchen, dining and storage areas.
- Labels, loads and delivers food carts or trays; picks up trays after use.
- Defrosts and cleans refrigerators, walk-in coolers and related equipment.
- Operates state-owned cars, vans, and/or other motorized transportation.
This is the basic level of this job family where employees are assigned simple and routine duties of handling, preparing and serving food. In this role they will perform tasks such as preparing toast, tea, and
coffee, and maintaining the cleanliness of the food service area.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience: None required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of basic food preparation techniques; of food service operations; of proper sanitation practices; and of basic mathematics. Ability is required to carry out routine tasks to completion; to follow oral and written instructions; and to
establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Some positions may require possession of a valid Oklahoma Driver's License at time of appointment. ## Some positions within the Office of Juvenile Affairs may require applicants to be able to lift 25 pounds. Upon a conditional offer of employment, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services applicants must submit to a physical examination and shall meet the physical examination requirements of lifting/carrying 50 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds frequently and able to push and pull a maximum force of 50 pounds. Some agencies may have determined positions in this job family to be safety sensitive as defined by63 O.S. § 427.8.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.