Food Service Cook
This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
9/21/20 and 10/20/20
Under general supervision, prepares, bakes, cooks and serves food; maintains food inventory and storage; maintains sanitary working conditions; and may provide direction to subordinate staff and/or institution workers.
Watch to explore your career with purpose
Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- ServSafe and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point practices and procedures
- Methods of preparing and serving a variety of food in large quantities including recipe conversions
- Menu modifications for special diets
- Operation of commercial cooking equipment
- Follow and/or adjust formulas for food preparation in large quantities
- Plan and carry out the work of a given menuto produce the required food at the right time
- Obtain food and supplies in the right quantities with minimal waste
- Provide work direction to others
- Comply with regulated health and uniform standards
- Read, write and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Maintain personal hygiene
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Either:1. One year of full-time paid experience employed by the County of Sacramento in the class of Food Service Worker.
Or:2. One year of full-time, paid or volunteer cooking experience in a commercial or institutional kitchen.
Education Substitution:Education or training from an accredited college, training school, business school or occupational training program that is directly related to the cooking and/or food service program knowledge and abilities above may be substituted for the required experience on the following basis: 30 semester units (45 quarter units) equal one year of experience. Completion of training courses which do not have semester unit values are equated to semester units on the basis of: 15 clock hours of class equal one (1) semester unit.
Note: If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Criminal History and Background Checks : The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for the above class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedure B-5 and applicable federal and state law. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history check, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
License Requirement :A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
ServSafe Certificate :Some positions may be required to obtain and maintain a ServSafe Food Protection Manager certificate within six (6) months of appointment. Failure to obtain and maintain the appropriate certificates may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules and/or applicable bargaining agreement.
Physical Requirements : Some persons appointed in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Stoop and turn to lift items from floor level
- Stand for extended periods of time on hard surfaces.
The following may be performed with assistance as needed:
- Lift items up to 20 pounds above one's head.
- Lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds to one's shoulder.
- Push and pull wheeled carts requiring up to 50 pounds of exerted force.
Individuals who do not meet these requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Working Conditions : Some positions in this class require the incumbent to:
- Work in an area that may not have heating or air conditioning throughout a normal work day.
- Work with inmates or interact with mental health patients.
- Work weekends, nights, and holidays.
- Immerse hands and lower arms in hot water; may be sprayed with hot water.
Other Requirements : All positions in this class require tuberculin clearance.
The probationary period for this classification issix (6) months.
Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs: